Monday, March 12, 2007

Soy Merino Latte




Savannah
The Fiber Company
50% merino, 20% organic cotton, 15% linen, 15% soya
50 g = 65 yards
Gauge: 3-3.5 stitches per inch on US size 10 needles
My color: Blue Sky
My source: The Knit-Stop, Indianapolis, IN
Retail price: $16.80


From their website: "The Fibre Company offers a collection of yarns made from unique blends of natural fibers including alpaca, camel, cashmere, organic cotton, linen, merino, silk, soy and yak. The mission of The Fibre Company is to create sustainable natural fiber luxury yarns paying special attention to environmentally friendly production methods such as the use of low-impact dyes and organic cotton and wool where possible."

I was a very picky eater growing up, so my mom often used the gentle persuasion technique of telling me to "Eat it or wear it!" at the dinner table. I've since forgiven her (can't you tell?), but with this yarn, I actually could maybe eat a part of it, and would gladly wear it. As the mother of two small children, I hold the record for McDonalds drive-thrus, so I don't know from organic. But if you care about what you put IN your body, I suppose you care about what you put ON it, too. If so, this might be the yarn for you. Its organicity is as close as this one comes to granola, though, as it is not the least bit crunchy. It is nice and soft, and I can see it becoming a great cardigan that would be as comfortable to wear as a favorite bathrobe.

1 comment:

foodandknitgirl said...

That is a very bright color. I love it