Thursday, March 8, 2007

Rumpelstiltskin Eat Your Heart Out




Silken Straw
Alchemy Yarns
100% silk
Gauge: 6 stitches = 1 on needle size: 4 US
Approx. yardage = 236 yards
Approx. weight = 40 grams
My Color: 15C Grass Harp
My Source: The Knit Stop, Indianapolis, IN
Retail Price: $29.40
Stitch used: Starlight Lace, from Barbara Walker's Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns, p. 288

Don't worry, no one will cut your head off if you fail to turn this straw into gold by morning. Silk is good enough! It is quite straw-like in the hank, but once you get knitting with it, it softens up considerably. In fact, what looks at first like a single piece of straw turns out to be several plies of finely spun silk side by side. This only became a problem when I had to re-do a part a couple of times, and the plies completely separated from one another and were hard to corral. Luckily, that was the very last stitch, and I was able to hide it away easily enough. Just don't make any mistakes and you'll be fine! ( : The knitted swatch is light as air, and would make a lovely summer top or shawl. They have some amazing colors, so be sure to check the others out if green is not your thing.

2 comments:

hesira said...

Hi, I found you through the online group Knitting. What a great idea for a blog! I've enjoyed looking through your swatches.

Know Better, Feel Better said...

Thank you so much! I've equally enjoyed doing them! Keep checking back, as I try to update daily.