Monday, March 19, 2007

Elen Cashmere


25% Cashmere, 35% Extra Fine Wool, 5% Silk, 35% Viscose
Gauge: 5.5 sts per inch on 5-6 US needles
50g = 146 yds
My color: 6
My source: The Knit-Stop, Indianapolis, IN
Retail price: $19.75
Stitch pattern: Moorish Lattice, from Barbara Walker's Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns, p. 232


This yarn looks lovely when knitted, and has a drape that would be wonderful in a shawl. This pattern is reversible, so it would make a great scarf, too. The cashmere would give it nice warmth, along with the wool. I think the silk could just as well have been left out of this one, as it didn't add much to the yarn, in my opinion. You don't get the usual sheen of silk with it, and though this effect virtually disappears from view once knitted, while unknitted, the tiny thread of silk running through it makes the yarn look a bit scraggly up close. Mind you, this is unnoticable once you knit it, but I like my yarn to look pretty just sitting there waiting to be knitted, too, since most of it is (waiting, that is!).

No comments: