Friday, June 22, 2007

Cashmere Canapa


60% cotton
30% cashmere
10% hemp
50g = 129yds
gauge: 5.5 sts = 1" on needles: US 5
My Color: Cristallo Blue
Retail price: $11.00

This was an interesting new find for me at TNNA this year. I saw a lady wearing a cute little capelet in the ladies room, and asked her what it was. She said it was cotton, cashmere and hemp. I thought that seemed like a random combination. Then minutes later, there she was selling sample kits for it at the "Sample It" event (also known as frenzied buying for 30-45 minutes by rabid knitters and cross-stitch/needlepointers). The color she was wearing was already sold out by the time I made it to the table, so I got the blue one. I can't say this is the softest yarn I've ever used, but I guess it's better to knit with hemp than it is to smoke it. Maybe it is like flax, and will soften up when worn and/or washed, but unlike a plain linen yarn, this blend, with cashmere, cannot be put in the dryer. I'll post an update after I wash it, if that is the case.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, hemp will soften with washing.

Anonymous said...

Please let me know the pattern. It is very cute!

Know Better, Feel Better said...

It's Hemp For Knitting's own pattern. Probably a LanaKnits Design. I don't have it with me right now, but will re-post if I find that not to be true.