Thursday, April 12, 2007

John Linen



"Euroflax Sport Weight linen in 49 solid colors and 16 beautiful blends."
100% Wet Spun Linen
6 sts per inch on needles US 2-4
1300 yds/lb. Solid Colors: 100 gm Skeins (270 yds); 50 gm Skeins (135 yds); 1/2 lb Cones (650 yds); Blended Colors: 100 gm Skeins (270 yds); 1/2 lb Cones (650 yds)
My Color: Cedarwood 18-2464-7
My Source: The Knit Stop, Indianapolis, IN
Retail price for 100 gm hank: $20.95



If you've ever knit with linen yarn, you know that it can be like knitting with rope, in terms of the softness factor, but once washed and dryed in the dryer (Yes, I said, "dryed in the dryer"), it can be as soft as cotton. Well, I decided to forgoe the exfoliation treatment and washed and dryed the yarn before knitting with it. While this softened it some, it still wasn't as soft as I'd like. So, I washed and dryed it again after I knit the washcloth, which is what this is, by the way. I tried to do the one in the Knitter's Stash book, but it was much bigger than I wanted, so I just used the handy Barbara Walker's Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns and worked out the Dragon Scales pattern in the size I wanted. It is amazingly softer after its final wash and dry.

1 comment:

foodandknitgirl said...

You are one busy knitter. I love your detail work. It's so beautiful!! You are a natural at knitting